Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mt. Laguna to Scissors Crossing, April 11th-13th


In the morning Doaf and I cooked our respective breakfasts on our camping stoves on the table of the hotel room, which I imagined made the place look like a meth lab, although I’m not exactly sure how one looks.    

We walked down to the hiker supply store and I bought a bag for storing clothes that had a fuzzy side and doubled as a pillow, a pair of socks with toes to wear with my sandals in camp, and a bandanna for filtering nasty stream water should the occasion arise, as my bandanna previously designated for that had been requisitioned as a snot rag.  
We passed this sign on the way to the store - I can only imagine what prompted it's posting.
 The proprietor of the store was friendly, took our names down on his register[i], and asked to take our pictures outside.  The store was full of great things for hikers, and I was enjoying myself until Doaf mentioned a large pile of food that he had seen abandoned on the trail between Campo and Lake Moreno his first day hiking. 
“Well,” the store owner said, “I just hope some hiker got to it before one of those illegal Mexicans.” 
I was stunned, wondering how someone desperate enough to risk their lives illegally crossing an international border could possibly need calories less than someone with the disposable income necessary to spend five months walking from Mexico to Canada for self-fulfillment.  Was I just being naïve?  I remembered trail angel Bob telling me that a recent law imposing a 90-day detention for anyone caught twice was a real deterrent because it was 90 days that they couldn’t be working and sending money home to their families, which reinforced my liberal assumption that illegal immigrants are people who just want to work, often at jobs that Americans don’t want anyways.  At any rate, I didn’t say anything, I just went outside and smiled for my picture. 
I told Doaf to go ahead, wanting a little time alone.  I enjoyed hiking with him a lot, but I wanted this to stay mainly a solo trip.  We agreed to say goodbye at the post office at noon, where I had a small package to pick up and another hiker that Doaf planned to leave with had one to pick up as well.  When I arrived a small crowd of hikers had gathered on the porch, and I felt a sudden, almost physical urge to go with them.  I was thrilled to have this feeling, but two things held me back.  One was the desire to be alone for awhile and to keep my hike my own, and the other was the desire to sit down and write before the impressions in my head slipped away.   
Saying goodbye to Doaf
 I picked up my resupply boxes and sat on the porch sorting through things to mail home, chatting with the first other solo female hiker that I’d met.  Shannon was a petit blond with a lilting, childlike voice and an aura of cheerfulness.  She understood wanting to hike alone, her eyes widening when I mentioned it in the way that people do when you voice something that they’ve already been thinking but have not yet articulated themselves.  She was a vegan and I wondered how she could possibly survive hiking that way, but she seemed pretty happy on that porch eating her peanut butter and banana.  We said a friendly goodbye and I walked out of town to find a secluded spot.  



I walked four miles to a lookout point near a campground, stubbornly carrying the six beers that Doaf and I hadn’t finished and thinking about the big difference made by just a small amount of weight and how it made my legs feel.  At the place I planned to stop, a day hiker waited with a huge black and white dog while his friends fetched water.  I asked if I could pet the dog, and Gil told me how he had once hiked a section of the PCT with llamas.  I excused myself to go and find a spot to eat and write, and moved in to shake his hand.  Instead of taking my hand, he grabbed the side of my pack and yanked on a strap.  Suddenly, everything felt different.
“What did you do?!?”
“Oh, I’m sorry,” he said, “I didn’t mean to –”
“Do the other side!” I practically shouted.  I rotated myself and he yanked another strap.  My pack literally felt 10 pounds lighter.  Gil began to explain additional adjustments that I could make the next time I took the pack off, but I was already shedding it for a demonstration.  He adjusted the rest of the straps, and then instructed me in how to cinch the pack on correctly, explaining that he’d once taken a class on the subject.  I hadn’t realized the degree to which my pack had been pulling me backwards, and I suddenly felt as if I could literally jog the trail.  
Gil and Jerry
 I thanked Gil profusely, found a secluded spot, and wrote in my journal for hours, leaving only when darkness fell.  Hiking in the dark was completely different, and I sipped my few remaining beers rather than guzzling water as I had during the day.  I noticed an abundance of insects on the trail, which I hadn’t during the day, and a few frogs as well.  I’ve always been afraid of the dark and I felt jumpy on and off, stopping and listening to noises that startled me, but overall I remained fairly calm and was proud of myself for doing something that most people would probably not even consider an accomplishment.    


I got into photographing creepy looking trees in the dark.
 I hiked five miles to the Pioneer Mail Campground, where at least four other hikers were camped.  I set up my tent in the dark to the sounds of the nearest hiker grunting and farting in his tent, burned a package of Kraft macaroni and cheese to the bottom of my Jetboil, and crawled into my tent to sleep.  In the morning my loud neighbor and another hiker left early, leaving me, Shannon, and a young hiker named Andrew whom I had also met at the store in Mt. Laguna.  The water report[ii] had said that Pioneer Mail had a faucet running, but it was dry and the only water was in a concrete trough labeled for horses.  Dead insects floated on the surface, and algae grew below.   


 No one else would touch it, but I was out of water and the water source was at the Sunrise Trailhead seven miles out.  I remembered Gio’s instructions: 
“One drop of bleach per liter, two if it’s nasty, and you can strain it through a bandanna first if it’s really bad.”  I decided that this qualified as really bad.  I cut out two small sections of my bandanna, covered my two Smart Water bottles with them and secured them with rubber bands, and submerged the bottles, squeezing the air out of them and letting them fill with water through the cloth.   

I dumped three liters of the bandanna-filtered water into my platypus bladder, added six drops of bleach, and waited the requisite thirty minutes before tasting it.  It tasted just like municipal tap water.
I was the last one out of the campground and spent the day hiking alone.  The trail began to open up into the first really grandiose views, and I stopped to take more landscape photos than anyone needs.    



At one point I came upon memorials to a number of people, who I would later learn were hang gliders.  I still don't understand if they all died hang gliding from that spot, or if not why the memorials are all located there:






At one point I passed Shannon, who had stopped to wrap her blistered feet, and then at the Sunrise Trailhead water tank she caught up with me again.  

The always cheerful Shannon

I loved this hat, and whoever Carmen is, I hope she found her way back to it.
 Shannon was interested in my night hike, and decided to spend the afternoon relaxing and letting her blisters rest before trying it herself.  She listed the homeopathic remedies she had for the blisters, a number of natural salves and oils, before making an astute observation:
“I’m just wondering, if I wasn’t carrying all of this stuff – maybe I wouldn’t need it.” 
We said goodbye again and I hiked on to the Rodriguez Spur Truck Trail, which had a large water tank.
It's fun to watch the birds floating on the currents.

I almost stepped on this snake before I saw it and made a wide circle around it, but I've showed this photo to people and apparently it's harmless. 

My hiking sillhouette

The cacti are beginning to bloom.
 At the Rodriguez Spur I caught up with Andrew.  He was just leaving but told me where he planned to camp at a site around mile 72, and we agreed that I would hike to there too and camp with him.  I hiked the last stretch in the dark, guided by his headlight shining from up on a ridge.  Andrew was a tall, lanky kid of 21, taking some time off of college.  We talked gear, and found that we were jealous of each other – he envied my light pack, and I envied his ability to make us quinoa and bean tacos.  (My Jetboil burned so hot that it was basically only good for boiling water to reheat instant food.)  He envied my light pack, and I envied his gigantic bag of spices.  (I slathered my tacos with his yellow curry powder.)  He envied my light pack, and I envied his ability to charge his cell phone with a solar panel while he hiked.  (My small, light auxiliary battery gives about an extra 24 hours of life to the phone when it’s used for both a camera and a navigational device.) 
In the morning we talked about taking time off of school, which I support fully, having dropped out of college twice myself, returning to finish and take a masters only after something outside of school really inspired me.  I tried to give him what I feel is the most important piece of advice, which is to think about how you want to spent your day physically when you choose your major.  I told him about my friend Gloria in Coos Bay who majored in forestry because it meant she could hike in the woods every day, and who is one of the happiest people I have ever known.  I don’t know if any of it sunk in, but it’s something that I never considered before I spent years training to do something that would put me behind a computer for the rest of my life.  I honestly don’t regret my education, I’ve never achieved the way I did in that academic setting, but I do envy my sister using her masters’ degree as an occupational therapist without ever sitting down.  In fact, I don’t even think that my sister has a desk…  Andrew and I went on to speak of our families and of some very personal things, and then he left me to finish packing up, promising to wait at the water cache at Scissors Crossing, to say goodbye before I got off the trail to hitchhike into Julian. 
The hike to Scissors Crossing was uneventful until I ran out of water, realizing that while three liters was plenty for ten miles straight, it was not enough for ten miles that included an overnight stop in a dry camp.  I had run out of water the day before on the way to into the Rodriguez Spur Truck Trail, but had walked without water exactly two miles downhill in the shade.  Today I ran out in direct sunlight, with at least three miles to go.  The last two miles were completely flat, and it was difficult to follow the trail.  At some point I lost it, following the footprints of other hikers who had apparently lost it too.  Upon realizing that I was lost I pulled out my iPhone, took it out of airplane mode, opened the Guthook’s app, and walked in the necessary direction until the blue dot was reunited with the red line of the trail.  I felt the very opposite of a survivalist, but I didn’t stay thirsty for very long.
Andrew was waiting at the water cache under the second bridge at Scissors Crossing, and we exchanged a hug and good wishes before I hurried off to try to hitchhike into town before the post office closed at noon.  
Andrew writing in the register at the Scissors Crossing water cache


[i] Trail registers are typically books where hikers sign themselves in on their way through.  So far I’ve signed the one at the trailhead, one at the grocery store in Mt. Laguna, and two at water caches maintained by trail angels along the trail.  The information recorded includes names, when people came through, and sometimes there’s a space for people to where they’re from and/or leave comments.  They’re a nice way to see where people you’ve met are at, and are probably useful in the event that someone goes missing. 
[ii] http://www.pctwater.com/, I had bought a printout of it at the hiker supply store in Mt. Laguna but now access it online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment