Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Scissors Crossing to Warner Springs, April 14th-16th


A collection of thru-hikers and section hikers were clustered under the bridge, sharing stories.  I chatted and joked with them a little, but was ready to start my hike.  A pair of guys with sun hats and trekking poles showed up and took off again quickly; I started out shortly after them, and caught up after a half-hour.  They introduced themselves as Kobe Cache and Afghani Danny, and they had me laughing within minutes.  Kobe was a volleyball coach and was taking time off to thru-hike.  Afghani was only hiking the first 100 miles before returning to San Diego for the busiest part of the landscaping season.  He planned to work for the first half of the summer and then to travel and play for the second half.  His other source of income was the ownership of several cash machines in bars, and he was currently in the process of entrusting a friend with the task of carrying the large amounts of cash to the machines to stock them.  

The boys quickly realized that they could act like boys around me, and within an hour they had me laughing so hard my stomach hurt.  They only met the previous week on the trail, but somehow clicked in a way that each brought out the hilarity in the other.  They even had the same favorite movie, called Super Troopers, and constantly quoted lines from it, their favorite of which was

You boys like Me-hi-co?  

At one point I stopped to pee and rearrange some things in my pack and they got a ways ahead of me.  Wanting to get back into the zone of laughter I literally jogged to catch up with them.  I found that I could actually jog with my pack on, although it probably didn’t do any favors for my knees.  





 As we laughed and climbed the winds climbed as well, and by the time dusk approached it was literally howling.  We came to a site out of the wind with space for only one tent.  My Guthook’s app showed another site a half-mile out, but when we arrived it was on a ridge, the wind screaming across it.  The next campsite another half-mile on was the same, the trees visible in Guthook’s campsite photo having been burnt in a recent fire.  The next spot was in a sort of small canyon below the trail, and initially seemed perfect.  The wind blew down intermittently, but there was plenty of space for tents and even a campfire.  As we pitched our tents the gusts grew in intensity.  Kobe put large rocks on top of his tent stakes, and across one of mine as a helpful gesture.  Afghani made a fire and we sat around it to cook dinner.  I was absorbed in Kobe’s alcohol stove, wondering if its extreme light weight and ability to cook things slowly might make it preferable to my JetBoil.  I heard a slight clinking noise in the distance, but didn’t pay it any attention. 

“Did you hear a metallic noise?”  Afghani asked.  Kobe nodded and they both jumped up and charged off.  I followed them, and saw that the wind had ripped up all of my tent stakes, flinging them out in all directions where I would find them the next morning, and that my entire tent with my sleeping pad and bag inside it was airborne, anchored only by the line leading to the spike that Kobe had covered with a large rock.  The boys wrestled the tent to the ground and Afghani held it and helped me untwist the components while Kobe ran off to fetch more rocks.  We re-pitched it in the lee of Kobe’s tent, anchored by an abundance of large rocks, and returned to the campfire.

“What would I have done without you guys?  My tent would have been over that cliff.”  They laughed.

“Without us, you would have just pitched your tent and crawled into it.”  Still, I was incredibly grateful to have encountered my first night of tricky conditions in the company of two experienced outdoorsmen.  

Danny trying to get out of his tent in the morning

The boys doing their morning calisthenics
 In the morning I made coffee, and somehow managed to find all seven of my tent stakes.  Kobe took off ahead and Afghani and I leapfrogged each other for most of the day.   

This section of the trail burned recently; for long stretches of it much of the flora is charred like this.

Some other hikers had caught up with us and at one point we were all together at a water cache.  Bruno was a young Frenchman who had been hiking in New Zealand before coming to the U.S.; he’d found out about the PCT on the plane ride here and had decided to hike it before landing.  He was small and wiry and hiked at least 30 miles a day.  I made a snack of sharp cheddar wrapped in a tortilla, and he looked down at it in disgust.

“In Fronce, we have none of zees – owange cheese.”  


Bruno taking a break at a cave to cook some Top Ramen

 In the afternoon I hiked a ridge so windy that I was actually afraid I might be blown off of it, and in the afternoon I discovered that breaks from hiking were more effective if I elevated my legs.  Afghani caught up with me and joined me, and we lay on the trail, our legs sticking up the hill and our heads pointing over the ledge, looking up at our feet and telling jokes.   

The 100-mile mark!

Afghani Danny having finished his 100 miles


 We hiked together into the Barrel Springs campground where Kobe was waiting for us with news of the Boston Marathon bombing.  I felt more angry than I did on September 11th, thinking ‘who the hell blows the legs off of people who derive joy from running?’  It just seemed so utterly senseless – is the Boston Marathon a symbol of anything other than personal athletic achievement?  It was too much, and I pushed it out of my head and returned to the world of pitching tents and treating water and cooking on camp stoves. 

Kobe wanted to reach Warner Springs that evening, but I didn’t have another 8 miles in me and Afghani had completed his 100 miles and was heading off of the PCT at Barrel Springs.  We tried to convince Kobe to stay, but he was determined to push on so we took photos and said goodbyes.  

Saying goodbye to the boys

Kobe is sad to leave.

Our campsite at Barrel Springs

I was worn out from the two days and it was still cold and windy, we chatted for awhile through the walls of our tents but I soon fell asleep.  In the morning we hugged walked out to Afghani’s departure point, hugged and promised to keep in touch, and I set off for Warner Springs.  I walked through open fields sprinkled with scurrying ground squirrels, and welcomed the change of scenery.


My first livestock sighting on the trail

No comments:

Post a Comment